Posted on November 10 2015
Arroz con leche | chocolate with sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup white rice
- 6 cups of water
- 1 cup (320g) sweetened condensed milk
- 90 grams Mexican hot chocolate (1 disk of Abuelita or Ibarra brands)
- If you don't have Mexican hot chocolate: substitute for 45 grams cacao liquor, 45 grams sugar, ½ teaspoon Mexican cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- Rinse rice, place in pot with water and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir every 5 minutes.
- Add all ingredients and stir constantly to avoid spilling and sticking.
- Remove from heat after rice fully cooks, 10-20 minutes, and when it is your desired consistency. The rice will dry out as it cools. So if you want a creamy rice pudding, remove from heat when it still has some liquid. But make sure the rice is cooked. You can always add a splash of water if it gets too dry.
The only place in the world where you can see cacao and chocolate so imbedded in every day life is Oaxaca, Mexico. Al...Read More
If there is one thing I remember eating my entire life it’s chocolate and tamales, but not at the same time. Tamale...Read More
I have been eating my way through Latin America for most of my life. It all began in Los Angeles, California, which i...Read More